The Nursing and Midwifery Health Program Victoria (formerly the Victorian Nurses Health Program) is an independent support service for nurses, midwives and students of nursing and midwifery experiencing health issues related to their mental health or substance use concerns.
We provide sensitive and compassionate screening, assessment, referrals, individual support sessions and groups for those seeking help to manage these health concerns.
We believe that early intervention is the best way to address health problems and encourage our colleagues to contact us to discuss how we can best help.
We also welcome contact with managers and HR personnel in relation to supporting their nurses and midwives who are experiencing these health issues.
The NMHP values participants confidentiality and unless compelled by law or with consent the names of participants are not divulged to anyone. The program complies with the privacy act and we conduct it with the utmost discretion.
Anonymous enquiries are welcome and can be attended to without the requirement of the caller identifying themselves.
Callers seeking urgent attention out of office hours with Substance Use issues, can phone Direct Line 1800 888 236. For those with Mental Health issues: Find your nearest Mental Health Service or go to the Publications and Links page.
Our Shared Values
A healthy and safe nursing profession.
Provide an initial point of contact, referral and case management support for nurses and students of nursing with alcohol and other drug problems and/or mental health concerns in order to promote individual health and well being.
Reduce risks to those who use nursing services by assisting nurses to maintain their health.
Provide advice and a pathway of support for employers managing nurses with health issues relating to drug & alcohol.
The following statements underpin NMHP policy, procedures and practice:
• Delivery of services which are client focussed, outcome oriented, well planned, responsive, interactive and safe.
• Provision of an opportunity for the client to choose and help shape service options.
• Acknowledgment of the rights of the broader community to receive safe and high quality nursing care.
• Treating all people with whom NMHP have contact in the course of our work fairly and courteously.
• Fostering an environment where staff are valued, their skills and talents developed and their ideas encouraged.
• Ethical management and practice.
• Accountability in the use of all resources
• Fostering collaborative partnerships which will achieve the best outcomes for NMHP clients.